Monday, February 18, 2008

My Coconut and Durian Farm

This is the fruit of my endeavor. I’ve been planting this fruit bearing tree when I was in 4th year high school. Of course I can’t do it alone. With the help of my mother, my brother and sister I successfully finish planting this 250 coconut trees and 60 durian trees. Planting is a very simple task but keeping it growing for 8 years is a very difficult one. It takes a lot of money, encouragement, patient and dedication.

I though I lost this farm. It is because when I finish my college course I been working in Cotabato City, 10 hours away from my hometown. So I could only visit this farm every six to seven months. Try to imagine what will happen to your farm after 6 months without attending it. It will look like a forest again. Definitely, there is a lot of works to be done. But these times I have money to spend to cut the grasses to make my farm looks like a farm again. It will take 2 – 3 days to finish with the help of fifteen skilled and hardworking persons.

I found out that maintaining a farm is very expensive. That is why I attended a seminar. I found out that there is a plant that will control the grass while helping the growth of the fruit bearing tree. Well that’s a good news, a melody to my ears. But mind you it will take a lot of money because 1 kilogram of it has a price tag of 2000 pesos. And I need 5 bags of it to totally safeguard the farm. Whew, well I just bought 2 kilogram. After a year I started to pick up its fruit. Slowly and gradually, I finally sow this plant in my entire farm. After another year, the expenses of maintaining farm reduce by 25% and my fruit bearing trees grows healthier. I’m very happy.
Today, every time I went in my hometown and visit this place, I feel relax and unwind. Next year, I predict that my durian farm will harvest 500 kilograms of fruit and my entire coconut tree will bear fruits

1 comment:

roymanseras said...

Wow... haciendero man diay ka sir... ayaw mi kalimti s ite kng madato nka ha... hehehehehe....