Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Planting a Rubber Tree

It was last December when I was riding a bus going back home, from Midsayap to Davao, one man seat besides me. His name is Boy. He is mature and lived in Kidapawan. I guess his age is around 60-65 years old. It is because when the “conductor”, a ticket man, ask his fare, Boy ask for a discount. He is already a senior citizen and the conductor doesn’t believe until Boy shows his ID. He smiled at me and ask me “Is it obvious?”. That’s how our conversation started. According to Boy he is a former president of Knight of Columbus in Kidapawan chapter. We talked about our family and most especially what happen to our Christmas celebration. He is living his place to relax from abundant food and unending liquor. He is worried about his health until we talked about our source of bread and butter. I told him that I working in university as an instructor and nothing else. He asks me if I’m willing to have a sideline as a farmer like him. I told him that working in a farm is not a problem for me. It is because I grow in a farm and my family is a farmer. He asks me about my place and honestly I told him about the terrain and the climate of our place. Then he smiled and told me to plant a rubber tree. So I ask him what I could benefit from it. Then he told me on this manner which makes me think:

Suppose you have 2 hectare, and every hectare you can plant at least 400 trees, then you have 800 rubber trees. You just wait for five years to start tapping (harvesting the latter) the tree. Suppose every tree could earn 1 peso daily, then you earn 800 pesos daily.”

It is convincing right? Imagine you could earn 800 pesos daily. It is big enough compare to our salary today(be honest). But farming is not an easy job. You have to be expose from heat of the sun. Hiking on inclinated, moody and grassy land. But remember that success always comes after sacrifices. Mind you that if you start planting today then after 10 years you could stop working and enjoying managing your farm. If you do this actually your hitting three birds in one stone; you help the Mother Nature by planting trees, you help the livelihood of your neighbor and the same time you improve your earnings.

If ever I earned enough money then I will start planting a rubber tree. To know more about the strategies of planting a rubber tree then refer on this link.

2 comments:

lazer said...

This is very informative. My husband and I have planted 3,000 rubber trees a year ago.It is indeed hard work and very expensive.Hoping and praying that it will pay off after 5 years.

Emerson said...

thanks for sharing, we can do this in Midsayap